dupa

Author Topic: Ask Hal to read you a story or poem  (Read 6603 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ask Hal to read you a story or poem
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:31:46 pm »
Came across a nice Plugin by jasondude7116 that allowed Hal to read stories or poems, basically a text file.

I went through and changed it to work properly with UH7 instead of UltraHalAssistant 6.

One has to say, "Please read now story <insert your story or poem text file name here but no txt extension)"
You can also say, "Please read now story list" and Hal will find and name all the stories you have in your story/poem folder.

Example: Please read now story a road less taken
Hal will find the story or poem (if it exists in your Story Folder). If not, Hal will advise you that it does not exist or couldn't be found.
====================================
Make a New Folder under Ultra Hal 7 called Story.
Copy any reasonably short stories or poems into the Story folder. They all must be text files and have a .txt extension.

Copy this readastory.uhp file into your Ultra Hal 7 Folder

Reboot Hal. Go to MENU > General Options > Brain
Scroll down the right side to find Read a story in the list of Plugins and select it.

Restart Hal then you can ask Hal to read stories or poems for you or to you.
Big thanks to jasondude7116!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Ask Hal to read you a story or poem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »
was their anything like a pause on this ?? also it would be cool if hal could somehow resume after being shut down , from the last place he left off, don't know if that's possible though. 

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:05 pm »
This plugin has been on my list of things to improve. Thanks for finding it and bringing it up to date!

-Spitfire2600

Shastalore

• The eyes are fake but headgear is real. Be afraid.
    • View Profile
    • Some of my portable green energy designs and prototypes:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 10:57:59 am »
Are you certain that this Please read now <story> actually works in Ultra Hal 7?

I've unzipped and added your readastory.uhp (1.96 KB) file in the Ultra Hal 7 program folder.
And I've added a "story" folder, in the Ultra Hal 7 program folder, filled with jasondude7116's sample texts.
I then rebooted Ultra Hal 7.5.129.
In Ultra Hal 7.5.129 > MENU > General Options > Brain I also scrolled down the right side in the list of Plugins and selected Read a story option.

But in Ultra Hal 7.5.129, entering "PLEASE READ NOW a dark brown dog" in the text dialog box only generates a "I'm sorry but that file does not exist in the story folder. Please try another or ask for a listing." response.

And entering "PLEASE READ NOW STORY LIST" in the text dialog box also only generates a "I'm sorry but that file does not exist in the story folder. Please try another or ask for a listing." response.

I'd like to also try out the vrMP4.uhp (8.41 KB) plugin, but there are no instructions as to how to use it, and I'm not sure if it was written for Ultra Hal 7.

FYI: I am running Ultra Hal 7.5.129 in Windows 10, 32-bit.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 12:12:06 pm by Shastalore »
Ultra Hal 6.0, on a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 Tablet with Windows XP Tablet 2005 operating system. For accurate speech recognition: IBM ViaVoice Standard 10 via Plantronics Audio 60 3.5mm ear/mic headset plugged into a hacked VXI Parrott "Translator" Noise Cancelling R11506/P41TR module.

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2024, 05:55:53 pm »
The mp4 plugin does work
That was the beginning of Hal and a Movie
I might have had something to do with it.lol
look at the code close tho.

Damn i feel old

cyber jedi
If u guys hit me up i will infact respond
If u have office of anykind thers a whole list of plugins for that in the way of Scraperz
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 11:40:28 am by cyberjedi »

Shastalore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2024, 01:55:54 pm »
Yeah, I've opened and read through the readastory.uhp file as well as the vrMP4.uhp file, but I haven't programmed in Basic for over 25 years, so I'm left scratching my head, trying to understand and trying to get these to work.
You have to understand that I will only use Ultra Hal 7 offline, as I don't want Big Brother looking over my shoulder, although I have used some of those free A.I. websites to generate lists of fortune-cookie-type specific knowledge files to add to the Ultra Hal 7 brain.
And I still insist that Windows 98SE chess games as well as Windows 98SE flight simulators are still a form of artificial intelligence. So a fun and clever offline chatbot, sometimes coupled with the ConceptNetMrk3 brain plug-in (which works quite well), is just fine with me.
Sure, the Read A Story and MP4 options appear in the Ultra Hal 7.0 Default Brain plug-ins list, but I'm still getting nowhere with them. The number of visitors in this forum seems to be declining, so I don't expect much feedback on this subject.
Ultra Hal 6.0, on a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 Tablet with Windows XP Tablet 2005 operating system. For accurate speech recognition: IBM ViaVoice Standard 10 via Plantronics Audio 60 3.5mm ear/mic headset plugged into a hacked VXI Parrott "Translator" Noise Cancelling R11506/P41TR module.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 10:44:47 am »
Have you tried using the Local Wikipedia Plugin? I have, and although I like the detailed information it provides, more often, it gives far too much non-related details that actually take away from the topic.

I have tried the ConceptNet Plugin along with the Auto-Learning feature. It seemed to work pretty nicely but Hal still strays from the subject or category at hand.

I have always gotten better results from my selection of the Markov L5 Plugin.  Way better, in fact, than not using it.

We're on the same mission...to help make Hal smarter.

As far as the Office question, send a PM to CyberJedi. (He won't bite and he's pretty up on these kinds of things).
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Shastalore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2024, 04:50:13 pm »
Thanks for your excellent tip: Download Wikipedia for Offline, At-Your-Fingertips Reading
As flash memory is now cheap and vast, Chatbot and A.I. programmers should not hesitate to offer such 150 GB knowledge file capacities to their apps... for those who prefer local-offline dialog with artificial intelligence chatbots.

As for Gretta Markov L5, I haven't found a single download link that still exists, including the most recent http://cid-7d1b0521931256f1.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/GRETTA%20Plugins link. And I was quite surprised that even archive.org does not have these files.

I've found a few piecemeal parts of it, such as GRETTA Picture Thoughts.uhp, GRETTAinternet.uhp, 201053202622_GRETTAemotion.zip, 20092721519_readastory.zip, 200932523733_Life.zip, and arrayold.zip, etc., but I'm certain they're all early, buggy versions.

I would definitely like to download and try out Gretta Markov L5 Response Engine, Gretta Markov L5 Picture, Gretta Markov L5 Music idle, Gretta Markov L5 Curiosity, Gretta Markov L5 Research, and Gretta Markov L5, just for starters.

Any suggestions, links?

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2024, 05:07:16 pm »
Hey guys i found this

Shatsta: this is what ur after

cyber
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 05:33:04 pm by cyberjedi »

Shastalore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2024, 05:30:27 pm »
Thanks! I'll give that GRETTAMarkovL5.uhp file a try.